Thursday, August 20, 2009

Outdoor To-Do List

Interesting to nobody but me, I'm sure, but perhaps posting these online will keep me honest.

  • Finish front gardens
    • transplant 4 ferns
    • dig up 1 dead fern
    • dig and divide black-eyed Susans
  • Clean up porch
  • Turn compost
  • Harvest tomatillos (for salsa and whatever else I can think up)
  • Keep harvesting baby cukes for cornichons
  • Mow
  • Price out wood chipper rental for a day (we have scads of small branches and brush around - enough that it may be cost-effective for us to make our own mulch for next year)
  • Clear out old veg garden and move rocks to make a fire circle
  • Clean gutters (a job that probably should be at the top of the list, but which fills me with fear and loathing)
There are probably several items missing, but it's a start at least. On rainy days I can work on planning out the expanded veg garden for next year. Come fall, I won't be able to do as much as I'd like, but I'd like to get some of the raised bed frames built before spring arrives and I want to start filling them.

3 people have weighed in:

animalcrackerkat held forth

Hello.

I found a post on what appears to be your old blog referring to Minnie Rude.
"This is amazing - my cousin Doug just sent this to me. Calvin (the child on the far laft) is my paternal grandfather. Family legend has it that Minnie Mouse of Disney fame was actually named for my great grandmother, Minnie Rude."

The picture is no longer on the page, but I believe the "Norman" in that picture is my Great Grandfather Dr. Norman Burr Furlong. I first heard about Minnie Rude when I found a picture of her tombstone with Minnie Mouse on it after my Grandmother Norma Jean Cook returned from a trip to Ohio.

I'm basically writing to corroborate the "family legend". My Great Grandfather died in 1997. And my Grandmother died in 2005. My mother says, "Minnie used to play the piano for the silent films, but due to her height she had to strap wooden blocks to her feet to reach the pedals. At some point, Walt Disney walked in and saw her there. One of the early cartoons specifically has blocks tied to Minnie's feet so she can reach the piano."

As far as I know, no one else in the family has further information.

My mother is sitting next to me now. She says that my grandmother used to wear her grandmother's (Minnie Rude's) shoes when she was a child. And that my Great Grandfather was also very short in stature.

I couldn't find how to contact you directly. Please forgive me for commenting on a random gardening post.

Thanks!

Alison held forth

Thanks so much for posting this! Never before have I been so glad to have a defunct blog hanging about on the internet :-)

Have you ever seen the old cartoon? I may need to track it down or something.

animalcrackerkat held forth

I'm sorry it took me so long to respond. Our family recently just moved back to the U.S. and things have been crazy.

I wasn't able to find any old cartoons with the blocks on Minnie's feet. The old cartoons that I did find were very creepy, though...